Selling real estate is one of the most exciting careers on the planet. The first step in your new career is getting a real estate license.
There are four steps that are necessary to get the license:
- Complete the real estate license application. It will cost you $62.75. There are two things I like to point out about the application.
- The name and address on your application needs to be the same name and address that’s on your government photo ID. If you need to update your ID, now would be a good time to do that.
- The application asks a few questions about your criminal history. Read that questions carefully before you answer them. If you have ever, at any point in your life, been convicted or pled no contest to a misdemeanor or felony, you need to disclose it. This includes juvenile offenses, adjudication withheld offenses, and offenses that you were convicted of but forgot about. In addition to that, you have to include the arrest record and final disposition for each offense. That means you have to call the county courthouse where the offense occurred and get a copy of the case file for each incident. You will not be approved for a license until you submit these documents.
- You also need to complete your electronic fingerprints. It doesn’t matter if you got your fingerprints done last year for your job or for some other license. You have to get your fingerprints completed for this license. A good source to do that is Pearson Vue. You can call them at 877-234-6106 to schedule it. Their fee is $49.99 plus tax.
- Once you complete the application and fingerprints, the DBPR will approve your application. You will receive an email from Pearson Vue that says you are exam eligible. In other words, you are approved to take the Florida real estate exam.
- Enroll in Demetree School of Real Estate and pass the class test. The class lasts 63 hours. You need to get a 70% on the class test. You can take an in-person class or an online class.
These first four steps can be completed in any order. I recommend that you do steps in the order I suggested. If you do them in the order I suggested, you will be able to take the state exam right after you finish class. If you go to school first, you may have to wait several weeks after school before you can take the state exam.
The last step is to schedule a test date and take the Florida state exam. The test is administered by Pearson Vue. You need a 75% to pass this exam.
Once you pass the exam, you can find a broker and start making money. If you are looking for a good career in real estate, contact me and I can help you get started with an excellent broker.
Please note that neither I, nor anyone in the Climer family, have any affiliation with Climer School of Real Estate. My father, Ron Climer, sold Climer School of Real Estate in 2014. You can find me at Demetree School of Real Estate.